Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Just Five Words

Hey Friends! Since I am home schooled I am taking a writing class at a local home school co-op.  So far, it is really fun, and I am learning a lot.  Anyways, my grandmother asked me to post one of the papers/stories I turned in so she could read it.  For my class we are reading "The Magicians Nephew" by C.S Lewis. Jadis is the Queen of Narnia and  and the story is written in the point of view of her sister.  I hope you enjoy it.



Just Five Words
      
“What!” I shout.  How could one scroll, bearing five words, bring so much terror into one’s
eyes? My name is Queen Emerald, or at least it should be.  Cautiously, Jadis skims the will.  My
father’s will for that matter.  He died suddenly last week and left his enormous kingdom to us. 
This kingdom lies resting between two mountains in the land of Charn.  Beside me, my sister’s
face is glowing, and her eyes are sparkling.  Obviously, she read a certain part of the will; the
part that issues this kingdom to her.  Well, I don’t intend to give up without a fight!  We stand
there, glaring at each other.  She knows why I am furious, and that’s why she is too.  For I know
the code.  I was taught it at an early age by my father.  When spoken, this code can vanish all
living things.  All except the one who commands it. 
     For what seems like hours, we quarrel.  Madly, I tell her how I think I deserve to inherit the
 kingdom, because after all, I am more mature.  “Who knows the code?” I state mockingly.  Jadis
 gapes at me looking horrified.  “You wouldn’t dare!” she says.  Now let me remind you, at this
 point, she is looking quite uneasy.  “I would unless…” my voice trails off.  “Unless what!” she
 screams at me.  Obviously, she understands what I imply:  “…unless you pass the kingdom to its
rightful queen”, I proclaim forcefully.  Her eyes became glazed over, and her face appeared as if
 in great thought.  Minutes ticked by, and a loud bell rang out a piercing noise.  “War.” Jadis
 replied.  She spoke it with such confidence I became slightly alarmed.  Before I could protest,
 she swiftly walked down the long corridor, and into a room.  With great effort, I strain to hear
the low murmur of voices.  Reentering, she slips a thick piece of paper onto the wooden desk,
 and then retreats back again.  I peer over to see what it reads: “I hereby declare war!” 
     The words sting me like a needle pricking my finger. Suddenly, it was like a switch was
 flicked on inside me.  Every bone in my body cringed with anger and before I knew it, I found
 myself on a towering hill, trying my best to dodge arrows that are forcefully hurdling their way
 toward me.  My army may not be the best; that would explain why we are losing.  I am just
 about to give up, when I remember the code.  All of the sudden, the words - those deceiving
 words that made me miserable - start flowing out of my mouth.  The last letter tumbles out and
 then, I don’t know how to feel.  There is an immense wind followed by the disappearance of the
 sun; rain starts pouring down, and the war cries become silent; all because of five words.  I am
 the only one left.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every single comment - they make my day!